Asenovgrad (180 m altitude) is located in the western part of the Upper Thracian Valley, 169 km from Sofia, 19 km from Plovdiv and 84 km from Smolyan. Here is the greatest concentration of monasteries, churches and chapels throughout the country; therefore the town has the glory of the “Little Jerusalem”.
Asenovgrad is one of the oldest towns in Bulgaria. In its vicinity are found more than 100 Thracian mounds. The town has a favourable geographical position. This explains its old name Stanimaka, which means the defence of passage.
In 1230 Ivan Assen II strengthens and expands the Stanimaka’s fortress. For this reason it was renamed to Asenovgrad fortress and the town – to Asenovgrad.
Asenovgrad is known mostly by the wine production Asenovgrad is connected to the rest of the country mostly by bus and rail. Regular bus lines to Plovdiv (30 min.) Smolyan, Chepelare, Pamporovo, Bachkovo Monastery, Haskovo, Kardzhali.
- Sightseeing to be visited in Asenovgrad and its surroundings are:
- The Church St. John Baptist “- XII-XIVc.
- The Church St. George – 1843.
- The Church St. Mary – 1760
- Museum of viticulture and wine
- Historical Museum
- Ethnographic Museum
- Paleontological museum
- Bachkovo Monastery
- Arapovski Monastery St. Nedelya
- Muldavski Monastery St. Petka
- Doll Monastery of St. Cosmas and Damian
- Gornovodenski Monastery St. Kirik and Julita
Asenovgrad Fortress is one of the hundred tourist sites (it has a stamp), declared a national monument. It is a medieval fortress, situated on a limestone rocky peak on the left bank of the river Asenitsa (in the Rhodope Mountains), just above where the river gorge narrows to almost vertical rocky shores.